Love ’em or hate ’em, “snow day” season is upon us. You may have visions of spending an afternoon bundled up with your littles building snowmen and creating snow angels, but let’s be real, most snow days are just too damned cold and you’d rather take cover indoors. Finding indoor kids activities that don’t involve putting them in front of the iPad can be challenging even for the most creative of us, so the editors at heymama have come up with 19 easy indoor kids activities to pass the time and have some fun along the way. Read on..
1. Create an old fashioned family photo album or make a scrapbook.
2. Bake a dessert. Kids always appreciate cookies and they would have just as much fun learning how to make them.
3. Set up a scavenger hunt. This is a fun way to get the kids warmed up and burn some energy just in time for a nap.
4. Redesign your kid’s room. Rearranging some furniture and adding some homemade art will add an exciting change of scenery.
5. Piece together a puzzle. Turn out the lights and watch the glow in the dark puzzle set by The Learning Journey come to life.
6. Have an indoor camping trip decked out with DIY tents, flashlights, s’mores, and hot cocoa.
7. Turn your living room into the ultimate movie theatre with popcorn, candy, the biggest blanket you can find and throw on a Disney or Pixar classic.
8. Shuffle a deck of cards and teach your little one how to play SlapJack.
9. Have a tea party with homemade cookies and hot drinks.
10. Turn up the tunes and have a dance party.
11. Play ‘Red Light, Green Light,1,2,3’ or ‘Simon Says’.
12. See who can build the tallest tower with spaghetti and marshmallows! (It’s not as easy as it seems.)
13. Rally up the troops, grab their favorite book and have storytime.
14. Hang a photos and throw your own pint-sized paint/draw and sip. You don’t even need paint canvases. All you need is a few sheets of paper, markers, watercolors or color pencils and fun drinks.
15. Set up an awesome obstacle course and race to see who can finish first.
16. Tye-dye t-shirts with food coloring and water.
18. Mold masterful clay art and bake it to keep forever.
19. Two words: Macaroni Art. Some of our best pieces came from macaroni art when we were kids!
What are some of the fun indoor activities you like to do with your kids when it’s cold out?